If you are a visual learner, sometimes it is helpful to view recycling facts in pictures with infographics. The inforgraphic below is interesting because it compares the good through the best of over a dozen countries and how they are disposing of their waste (incinerated, landfilled, recycled, or composted). It is also interesting to note how recycling is helping our economy and employment. For instance, recycling creates 4 jobs for every 1 job created in the waste management and disposal industries.
Here are some of the important takeaways from this infographic:
- The average family throws away over 6 trees worth of paper a year.
- It takes the same amount of energy to make one new can as it does to make 20 recycled cans of aluminum.
- Turkey has the largest percentage of waste being added to the landfill.
- Paper and cardboard products are the most common types of recyclables.
- Styrofoam products are not biodegradable and will never decompose.
- Americans waste a significant amount of potential recyclables that could be turned into valuable energy sources.
- Plastics in our oceans are killing sea creatures at an alarming rate.
- Recycling and diversion efforts are helping to turn the tide against overfilling of landfills.
View other helpful Information:
The Global Face of Recycling Infographic
Waste Management and Recycling Infograpic
Recycling in Restaurants Infographic
Trash and Recycling Trends Infographic
What’s in your Trash? Infographic
Recycling Facts and Statistics Infographic
Recycling and Trash in Europe Infographic