Earth Day is coming up on April 22nd. It is a great time for all of us to think about what we are doing (or not doing) that is making an impact on Mother Earth. Schools can make a huge difference now and for future generations by teaching kids how to take care of the Earth. Here are some ideas to implement at school on Earth Day and everyday.
Ideas to Celebrate Earth Day at School:
- Explore Nature: There is so much for kids to see, enjoy, and learn in nature. Take them outside to make connections and explorations with birds, composting, gardening, and other outdoor activities. Connecting to nature when they are young can build a lifetime of respect and enjoyment for the earth and outdoors.
- Boost your School’s Recycling Program: Brainstorm with the kids on how together you can recycle more and reduce waste at your school. From using iPads instead of printing paper, or making sure that recycling bins for bottles and cans are conveniently located, there is always improvements to be made in a school’s recycling program. Here are more ideas on recycling more at school.
- Create a Recycling Drive at your School: Recruit kids and parents to help recycle items that may make their way into the trash at home. For instance, catalogs, phone books, paper, bottles, or cans. Aim for a goal (for instance, 10,000 lbs for the year) and think of items that people may forget to recycle. This can be a great way to get kids active in doing “work” that really makes a difference and can also help educate the community.
- Spark Interest in Gardening & Composting: School gardens have a ton of potential for learning and also growing food. It is awesome to see the kids get their hands dirty and see the results of their hard work when the garden grows.
- Start a Petition: Many groups of kids across the U.S. have been successful with starting petitions on change.org. For instance, this class petitioned to have Universal Studios add environmental information on their Lorax movie website.
What is your school planning for Earth Day at school? Is your school doing a good job recycling now? Here are some more helpful articles:
39 Ways to Recycle at School
Recycling & Waste Management Equipment for Schools
Earth Day Tips for Going Green
Recycling at School – Resources
Interested in reading articles on recycling, reducing waste, and helping or global environment from Harmony Enterprises? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here.