Aluminum is the most valuable material in the recycling bin! The demand for aluminum keeps growing and recycling aluminum saves more than 90% of the energy compared to producing new metals. For these reasons, aluminum is also the most recycled material. Nearly 75% of all aluminum processed in the U.S. is still in use today. Through recycling programs, aluminum can be recycled directly back into itself again and again! Take a look below for more can-crushing facts about recycling aluminum.
Facts about Recycling Aluminum
- Americans throw away enough aluminum every month to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet.
- When you throw away an aluminum can you waste as much energy as if you’d filled the can half full of gasoline and poured it into the ground.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a 100 watt light bulb for 20 hours, a computer for 3 hours, and a TV for 2 hours.
- Even though aluminum is the most valuable recyclable material, aluminum cans still make it to the landfill in the United States. Americans throw away nearly $1 billion worth of aluminum cans each year.
- Recycling aluminum saves energy! Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to listen to a full album on an iPod.
- Aluminum is mostly commonly found in beverage cans. But, aluminum baking trays, pet food cans, aluminum foil, and pie pans are also recyclable.
“It takes 90% less energy to manufacture an aluminum can from recycled aluminum.”
Aluminum by the Bale
Recycling centers, municipalities, beverage distribution centers, and other facilities often use a baler to bale aluminum cans. A baler can compact aluminum cans into a dense, easy to transport bale. Then, the bales are easily stacked and stored for easy processing. Harmony Enterprises, Inc. makes several different sizes and types of vertical balers, horizontal balers, and automatic balers that are used for processing aluminum cans or other materials. Click here to read more about our balers that process aluminum.
Harmony Enterprises, Inc. makes de-liquification balers, full product destruction equipment, trash compactors and balers for waste and recycling. Our balers are used to compact recyclables: everything from aluminum recycling to cardboard and textiles. We also provide industry leading customer service and warranty options as part of a total global solutions approach.We care about the environment and are always working toward making the earth a greener, more sustainable place for generations to come. If you are interested in learning more about our waste management and recycling products, please contact us here or call us at 800-658-2320.
Interested in reading articles like this on recycling, reducing waste, and helping our global environment from Harmony Enterprises? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here.