Starting a waste recycling program at your office, school, or facility can be relatively simple with the right plan of action. Here is a list of considerations and action items for getting your new waste recycling program off the ground. Remember, your waste recycling program does not have to be big right away. Start small, and take steps to expand it to a larger scale as you are ready.
Beginning Steps to Starting a Waste Recycling Program
- Gather your Team – Your recycling team should consist of people who will oversee the day-to-day activities of the recycling program, recycling advocates, and a person who is in charge of the overall program.
- Get Buy-In of Upper Management and other Key Stakeholders – Before starting a waste recycling program, it is important to have the buy-in and commitment from the upper management of your organization. Employees will see the follow-thru and the effectiveness from the top-down.
- Evaluate your Current Waste and Recycling Status – It is important to audit what materials will be recycled and what other factors will affect your waste recycling program. Evaluate where the greatest opportunities for waste reduction are within your organization.
- Begin Creating Recycling Policies, Mission Statement, & Strategies – Corporate policies that outline the plan for waste reduction, reusing, and recycling should be created and shared company-wide. The mission statement should also be shared with all employees and so they understand the “Why” behind the action. Here are more resources on preparing a recycling business plan.
- Prepare a Budget for the Recycling Program – Consider needs such as labor, supplies, recycling equipment, and rent/utilities for the space you are utilizing. Keep in mind that there are also som environmental grants available that may help with the expense. Recycling equipment such as balers can be purchased outright or leased. Sometimes people who are starting new waste recycling programs find it beneficial to rent or lease balers initially as the recycling program grows or evolves and their needs change.
Stay tuned for more tips on starting an efficient waste recycling program from Harmony Enterprises, Inc., manufacturer of balers and compactors for companies worldwide. If you would like to learn more about our recycling and waste management solutions, such as balers and compactors, please contact us at (507) 886-6666 or balers and compactors, please fill out this simple form.
Interested in reading articles on recycling, reducing waste, and helping our global environment from Harmony Enterprises? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here.