You already know that baling your own recyclables is a money-saver, right? If not, let’s review why:
- Baling recyclables will save on waste hauling charges. If some of your recyclables are making it to the compactor or trash bin, instead of the recycling bin, you are paying for your waste hauler to take it away, rather than making money from the recyclables.
- Baled recyclables are worth more than loose recyclables. Even if you are earning money for your loose cardboard or other recyclables now, be aware that you will generally earn more from baled material rather than lose material.
Now, let’s take a closer look at how your company can maximize their recycling profits, assuming that they are using equipment like a vertical baler or horizontal baler to reduce the size of the recyclables.
8 Tips for Increasing your Company’s Recycling Revenue:
- Purchase a Baler suited for your Needs. It is important to invest in a baler that is designed for the volume and type of materials that you are baling. Many other factors, including your facility and growth projections are also key things to know before buying a baler.
- Weigh your own Baled Material to Keep Inventory of your Recyclables. It is good practice to weigh and document your bale weights before the recyclers haul it away. Investing in a large floor scale, and taking the time to weigh each unit of recyclables, will ensure that you are getting paid for the accurate weight of your bales.
- Weigh your pallets, too. Different types of pallets will have different weights. Make sure your pallet allowance is accurately being counted as well.
- Make Dense Bales & Maximize Transport Space. If you are playing for a flat fee to fill a container, maximize your weight per pick-up. Some balers will make extra-dense bales which will help maximize transport potential.
- Reduce Costly Downtime. Depending on the size and scope of your company’s recycling initiatives, having a baler or other equipment break down can equate to a significant loss in recycling revenue. Reduce baler down time by investing in recycling equipment that is known for durability and also practicing regular baler maintenance.
- Manage Recyclables as Inventory: Use your documented weights and reconcile them against the report from your recycler. Treat the recycling revenue as an important money-maker for your business with the same checks and balances as other accounts receivables.
- Continue to Grow Recycling Opportunities within your Organization: There is always room for improvement with recycling and waste management. Some examples of next steps in implementing more recycling opportunities include ewaste, cartons, textiles, shrink-wrap, and so on. As new processes and equipment are created, the opportunity to recycle a wider variety of materials grows.
- Make Valuable Partnerships: Building a relationship with both your recycler and recycling equipment manufacturer will pay off in the long run. Look for people and companies that you trust and develop a partnership that is win-win.
Harmony Enterprises Inc. is the manufacturer or recycling and waste management equipment such as balers, compactors, and packers. Our goal is to provide the equipment and resources that businesses and organizations need to be efficient with recycling. We sell our products across the globe, and we are working towards making our earth a cleaner, greener planet.
Interested in reading articles on recycling, reducing waste, and helping or global environment from Harmony Enterprises? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here.