How Harmony Enterprises Recycles and Reuses
Harmony Enterprises is focused on helping businesses and facilities manage their waste and recyclables. We manufacture balers, compactors, and liquid extraction machines for size reduction of materials such as paper, aluminum, plastic, and many more. Harmony Enterprises recycles our cardboard, scrap metal, aluminum, and PET.
But there are a lot of little things we do around our offices and manufacturing plant to be a more sustainable business as well. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- We try to reuse cardboard boxes that parts are shipped to us in, for shipping our own parts out to customers. The ones that are not reused are recycled using one of our 60″ balers that has been in operation for nearly four decades!
- We shred our own paper and reuse the shredded paper as packing material.
- When oil is drained out of old balers, we reuse the oil as a cutting fluid on some of our machines.
- Floor-Dry granular absorbent is swept up after the area is cleaned up and if it is not totally saturated we save it to be used again.
- We use bulk welding wire when possible to cut down on packaging of individual spools/wire.
- We reuse old steel banding for shim stock on welding jigs were possible.
- We try to reuse pallets that material arrives on to ship parts and smaller balers out on.
- When pallets are in poor condition and beyond use, we send them to a recycling facility where they are ground up and re-manufactured into landscaping material.
- We minimize printing of brochures and catalogues and instead focus on providing our customer with digital product information on our website at harmony1.com and YouTube.
- Instead of printing and mailing newsletters in the mail, we send out a monthly email newsletter (sign up here), reducing paper waste and the carbon footprint impact of delivery.
- Our subsidiary office in Toulouse, France, Harmony Europe, serves our European customer’s needs for equipment and service while reducing our carbon footprint.
- We have a company-wide recycling initiative that includes recycling paper, aluminum, plastic, cardboard, magazines and newspaper throughout our building.
- We recycle leftover machine paint. Instead of throwing out excess paint used on balers and compactors, they are recycling their “leftovers”, finding clever uses for it on outdoor compactor platens. These hydraulic rams are not visible to the public, but do require paint coating for protection.
- Our website is hosted on a “Green” Server, with a company who is continually seeking new ways to reduce their carbon footprint and maximize a positive impact on the earth (See the “Site Powered by Green Energy” logo in the bottom right hand corner?).
Our Employees Reuse and Recycle, Too!
These may seem like small steps, but we believe that every effort counts. Many of our employees have taken the initiative in making green actions a habit at Harmony Enterprises and in their community.
One employee recently built a second story walk-out deck with an understructure made completely from posts and joists hewn from recycled line poles and decking from a popular composite decking company. One of these 16′ decking board contains recycled material from approximately 2,250 plastic bags. The average 500 square-foot composite deck contains more than 140,000 recycled plastic bags, films, and wraps.
We applaud all of our employee efforts to live in a sustainable manner that ensures a healthy environment for generations to come.
What do you do to recycle or act green at your home or business?
Contact Harmony Today!
If you would like to learn how to better recycle or reuse valuable commodities in your business, Contact Us today! We would be happy to work with you to determine which of our full line of waste and recycling products might help you achieve your own sustainability goals!