Regularly scheduled maintenance is critical for the long productive service life expected from your baler or compactor. Failure to properly maintain your recycling equipment can lead to added repair costs, extended down time, and safety concerns. A regularly scheduled program should include the following items.
The safety of the operator has been of prime importance in designing Harmony Enterprises balers and compactors. All Harmony Enterprises balers and compactors are equipped with numerous safety devices to protect the operator (read more baler and compactor safety guidelines). For operating guidelines, please refer to your Owner’s Manual you received with your baler or compactor. If you need an additional Owner’s Manual, please contact us at 888-474-2253 (if you live in the U.S.), 507-886-6666 (If you live outside the U.S.) or fill out this simple form.
Weekly Baler and Compactor Maintenance
- Inspect all nuts and bolts during the first week of use, and then monthly thereafter.
- Check hydraulic oil reservoir for proper oil level with the cylinder fully retracted. Maintain proper oil level in the reservoir with a high quality all weather hydraulic oil such as Conoco 5W-20 or equivalent. A “Fill to Here” decal is provided to help maintain the proper level. In addition, check for any leakage, kinks, or other damage to the hydraulic hoses and replace if necessary.
- Check the power unit. Keep the power unit clean and free of debris in order to provide a clean airflow around the unit. Wipe all grease, dust, and dirt from the outside of the control box.
- Check that all safety guards and access covers are secure and in the proper condition before operation.
Monthly Baler and Compactor Maintenance
- Grease the lower door hinges and lock assembly with a needlepoint grease gun.
- Check all nut and bolts. Inspect the overall condition of the equipment and the surrounding work area.
Annual Baler and Compactor Maintenance
- Have a licensed electrician inspect the electrical system. All electrical connections should be examined and the motor amp draw should be checked. Recording successive readings helps prevent future failures.
- Maintain the hydraulic system. Drain and refill the reservoir with high quality all weather hydraulic fluid equal or better then Conoco MV32. Check all hoses and connections for leakage or wear and replace if necessary. Change the oil filter after the first 50 hours of operation and every 250 hours thereafter. Modify this schedule if the baler operates in hot, dusty conditions.
Baler and Compactor Repair
Remember, all repair work should be done by trained service personnel (read about some of our service and install companies). Please contact us at 888-474-2253 (inside the U.S.) or 507-886-6666 (outside the U.S.) for instructions on how to proceed when baler or compactor repairs are suspected.
Weekly, monthly, and annual preventative maintenance of your baler or compactor is important to reduce equipment down time and expensive repairs. Please practice all the safety guidelines and contact us if you are in need of repair or service.
Interested in reading articles on recycling, reducing waste, and helping or global environment from Harmony Enterprises? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here.