National Recycling Day 2019
National Recycling Day, also known as America Recycles Day, is this Friday, November 15th. Created in 1997, and integrated into the Keep American Beautiful campaign in 2009, this national holiday challenges each of us to commit to recycling for the coming year.
Why Recycle? We all know our landfills and oceans are taxed with too much waste that could easily be recycled and put to use again. In case you need more incentive to recycle, here are some interesting recycling facts from holidayscalendar.com that might give you the extra nudge you need to be more proactive in your recycling efforts:
- 60% of trash could be recycled
- Aluminum cans can be recycled endlessly
- Aluminum cans can go from recycling back to store shelves in 2 months
- Recycling one can saves enough energy to run a TV for almost 3 hours
- 80 billion aluminum cans are used each year around the world
- If everyone recycled their newspapers, over 200 million trees could be saved each year
- 500,000 trees are cut down just to produce Sunday newspapers each week
- Each American uses almost 700 pounds of paper each year – most of which is just thrown away
- Americans throw away over 25 trillion Styrofoam cups a year
- 5 million plastic bottles are used in America every hour – most are tossed in the trash
- Plastic bags in the oceans kill one million sea creatures a year
- Every year, a billion trees worth of paper is thrown away
- Enough wood and paper is thrown away each year to heat 50 million homes for 2 decades
- Recycling one ton of plastic can save almost 2,000 gallons of gasoline
What Can One Person Do?
Simple answer: A Lot! This National Recycling Day, look through your waste and see what you could pull out into recycling or reuse yourself. Commit to acts of recycling throughout the coming year. Plastic containers, bottles, and textiles are just a few commodities that can be reused in your household or reworked into new useful ways.
For those who want to become even more involved, americarecyclesday.org is a great online resource that allows you to register a National Recycling Day event, organize an event, or find an event near you. It also helps to keep you accountable to your recycling commitment by taking the online pledge to recycle in the coming year!
What Can Your Business Do?
If your business isn’t already recycling, you are adding to the waste stream, as well as losing money. Not recycling means that you are having larger quantities of waste hauled away more often than necessary. You are also not able to earn money back from recyclable commodities like aluminum, PET, plastics, paper, non-ferrous metal, textiles, and more. Just as importantly, recyclables can stack up in the back of your business, creating fire, vermin, and safety hazards that could easily be avoided with a recycling baler. Harmony Enterprises manufactures 19 different models that provide recycling solutions for any type of product, volume, or operational area.
If you are already recycling, you might be able to maximize your efficiencies by looking into a mill-sized baler. Depending on your needs, it may be more beneficial to transport larger 60″ bales with greater weights than several smaller ones. Creating larger bales is proven to reduce the labor time needed to make each bale. Harmony offers several quality 60″ balers for every need.
Make The Decision To Recycle Today!
Whether you are an individual or business decision maker, make the decision to recycle this National Recycling Day! Harmony is here to help you with resources and blog posts on a variety of recycling topics. Our courteous sales staff has years of experience in recycling equipment and will work with you to provide you with free quotes and information on the right solution for your business. Call us at 507-886-6666, or Contact Us today!