The infographic below shows some fun facts about recycling aluminum, paper, plastic, and glass and what states are leading the way in their green efforts. The recycling facts and statistics that stand out the most:
- There has been an approximate 100% Increase in total recycling in the US in the past decade.
- The U.S. has the most pounds of trash per person per day (4.6 lbs of trash per person, 1.5 lbs of recycled materials per person)
- Aluminum can be recycled forever with NO loss of quality (good thing since we use over 80,000,000,000 aluminum cans each year)
- Americans use 2,500,000 plastic bottles, most of which are thrown away. In landfills, where plastic bottles are shielded from sunlight, they will not decompose for thousands of years.
- The energy saved by recycling one glass bottle would run a computer for 30 minutes.
- Recycling 1 ton of mixed paper saves the energy equivalent of 185 gallons on gasoline.
- Every year, Americans use 1 billion shopping bags, creating 300,000 tons of landfill waste.
- The greenest states are Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Nevada, Hawaii, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and Colorado
Recycling Facts & Statistics Infographic
Interested in reading articles on recycling, reducing waste, and helping or global environment from Harmony Enterprises? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here.